Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Dark days and promises

I really can't imagine what it was like - those days when Jesus was in the tomb. He had foreshadowed the upcoming events to His closest and beloved believers, even spelled out the events in detail. But, oh, how their hearts must have ached when His presence was gone and these things came to pass. Though His followers knew, they had to be in shock that these things actually did take place. How could it be that He was gone? These must have been the longest, darkest three days of their lives.

Sometimes we feel like that, too. We often know, a foreshadowing of sorts, when difficult times are coming or are at hand. And though Christ promises He sees all, it is sometimes difficult to believe that He really does have our lives in the palm of His hand. Some days, today in particular, I find it incredulous that He has ALL things under control. I know His Word is true, but when I look around at the chaos and aftermath of relationships gone wrong and the daily difficulties of life, it is as if I'm living in those three days of darkness.

I know His promises. I believe He sees all. I believe He is working a magnificent plan in my life and those around me. I just don't have His understanding, His perspective, His life-changing power in my hands. But these are just details to Him. I will trust Him for these things as I wait for that third day - that glorious, promised, earth-shattering third day.

"What a God we have! And how fortunate we are to have Him, this Father of our Master Jesus! Because Jesus was raised from the dead, we’ve been given a brand-new life and have everything to live for, including a future in heaven—and the future starts now! God is keeping careful watch over us and the future. The Day is coming when you’ll have it all—life healed and whole."
1 Peter 3-5 The Message

No comments:

Post a Comment