Wednesday, October 23, 2013
Joy!
The last two years have about done me in - three surgeries, unemployment, family deaths, difficult relationships, my dad's recently diagnosed Alzheimer's and the resulting guardianship I've taken for him - need I say more?! In my tiredness and vulnerability, my heart had taken many arrows of the evil one and I actually began to believe the worst for my circumstances. Sadness and hopelessness had become strongholds in my heart. And, the last I checked (and thankfully God's Word NEVER changes!), sadness and hopelessness are NOT fruits of the Spirit of God. Something had to give.
Our God is faithful. Listening to an audio devotion on the way to work yesterday struck my heart deeply. The devotional was on contagious joy - how our joy will draw others to Him. And, isn't that our true profession on this earth - to be salt to a dying world? I listened to this five-minute devotional about five times in succession, making sure the message would sink in. And, it did. Enough with the pity party. My God sees that I have needs and I need to leave those in His hands. My only job is to reflect Christ's joy and love that others may know Him.
As I got out of my car, the Lord said to me, "Kathy, it is time to take off the mantle of sadness and put on a mantle of joy." His Word, so desperately needed, so timely. I had begun to believe that God had forgotten me. Thankfully, He reminded me that I will never be forgotten or cast aside from His presence.
"Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.” Nehemiah 8:10b NIV
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment