Wednesday, October 16, 2013

What IS the color of guilt and shame?

If I had a big box of 64 Crayolas I would still be looking - trying to find just the shade that colors my life when I am full of guilt and shame. Lest you think, "Oh, no, what has Kathy done now?" I say to you that guilt and shame from seemingly innocuous acts can undo me as much as flagrant sin. But it all results in the same thing - a life colored by darkness and hiding.

I am learning that my God continuously forgives me - for yesterday, today and tomorrow. Oh, that I wish I could do the same. But at least He is showing me glimpses of myself - and a chance to live my life as it is. Forgiven. At much cost - the death of His Son - in order to set me free.

My guilt and shame can color my day for days. But thankfully, He graciously awakens me to His promises and His ways. I am forgiven and completely accepted in His sight. And that color is red, yellow, orange, green, blue, indigo and violet. Life! In spite of who I am or what I've done.

Blessed is the one whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered. Blessed is the one whose sin the Lord does not count against them and in whose spirit is no deceit. Psalms 32:1-2

1 comment: