Monday, July 21, 2014

I love, no hate, my iPhone

Cell phones are like a demanding, one-way relationship - they waste your time, offer you nothing in return and make one resentful of time spent with them. Sure, they're great when you're looking for an address, need to get in touch with someone pronto,  or you want to order a pizza. But, for the most part, I'm beginning to see it as such a time waster and despise the fact that it is ALWAYS in my hand. I think it may even be a source of depression.

But still, I diligently charge it nightly, stare at it constantly and even bought a battery case so my charge would never be lost. But I ask myself why. Every time I am sucked into a mindless game - and yes, I am talking Candy Crush and Ruzzle - I am so disappointed in myself. What happened to the Kathy who called and visited with her friends, read books, kept her house presentable, did crafty little projects and cooked dinner on a regular basis. Well, THAT Kathy has long ago fled. And I really do think my unhealthy attachment to this damnable smart phone is the reason.

Just to set the record straight, I take full ownership of my failing. It is not Apple's fault that they have learned to make themselves indispensable. Clearly I have no self-control. Yet, once again, I resolve to bring order and discipline back into my life.  I have deleted every game (AGAIN!) and have vowed to at least try more often to call or visit my friends and family rather than text (I'm already seeing a major fail here).

I'll let you know how that goes - you can just catch my status updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment