Friday, July 18, 2014

Looking forward

My life has changed drastically in the last seven months and yet I must grapple daily with the fact that my name is still Kathy, I am a follower and chosen of the Most High God and I am still the mother of one and daughter of another. Yet, the scenery has changed. Nothing really is a given anymore - my address, my church, my credit rating, my planning what I will cook for dinner for a family of three. Looking from the outside in - little in my life looks the same.

My furniture is in a strange place; my stove burns everything I attempt to cook, my bed is uncomfortable, my dog doesn't have a backyard in which to terrorize the rabbits and birds and there is no front porch on which to sip an iced tea or glass of wine with a book in my hand. I stay late in the office on nights when Annie is working and I now dread Fridays (which used to be one of my favorite days of the week)  - wondering how I will spend the next two days. It is quite evident that I don't spend a bit of that time cleaning up or organizing my life the way I used to. I am living in the very chaos that I rebelled against daily for years.

Life changes are hard - especially when it's change that you have fought and prayed and struggled against for a very long time. Clearly I am not the one in charge of my life.

But, I am really the same person, just in a different set of circumstances. Sadness creeps in daily and at the most ill-timed and unexpected moments. I keep thinking things will get better and then one drive through my old neighborhood to return a library book uncorks a well of tears that lasts for an entire day. There are no do-overs here.

When will the tide turn - or when will I adjust to the new terms of my life? What a good question. But I have no answers. I know only that I commit my every day to the only lover of my soul who is true and faithful. He says there is a plan for me. Until then, I try to know Him better and look forward to happier days.

No comments:

Post a Comment