My work has always been my refuge - my port in the storm. When things were tough at home, my daily trip to my office afforded me comfort and a place to be, a place to stand, a place where I knew what to do. When I longed for a baby or my heart was broken countless times, my career provided my escape and gave me worth.
As a Christ follower, I know that my career was never meant to provide me worth, safety or refuge from the storms of life. Nonetheless, my career is what carried me when I felt my life falling apart.
I am learning I cannot escape devastation; rather I must face it - stare it in the face - confront it head on. But I am also learning that when we choose to face our devastations, there is One who will stand with us, who will use these devastations to do a good work in us, despite the circumstances. I am learning that my worth is not determined by what I do, but rather who I am - a child of the living God, loved beyond measure, chosen by Him before time began.
Christ's ultimate sacrifice was made for His chosen people, you and me, beloved and anointed for His good purposes. And when I feel like it the least, this is the time I need to trust Him, for He alone is trustworthy. My job cannot love me, give me worth or rescue me from the storms of life, but He can and He will.
In trusting Him, I find it necessary to also thank Him for all that is stirring within me and around me, for it is molding me to be more like Him. And isn't that the goal of every Christ follower - to be more like Him - to bring glory to His Name?
In the past I have looked for a secret way out of the storms of life, an easy fix - anything that will keep me out of the midst of upheaval and out-of-control emotions. But my God has higher purposes - to transform me amid the storms, amid the devastations - all the while making me, transforming me, to be more like Him.I certainly do not have much experience at facing devastions with all faith that He is working on my behalf to bring good out of every life experience. Nor do I have much experience thanking Him for everything He is doing in my heart in the midst of turmoil. But I want to learn; I want to be dependent on Him alone. And, as far as I can tell, all I really need is to believe in Him and be willing to allow Him to change me and my heart, according to His plan.
Be gracious to me, O God, be gracious to me, for my soul takes refuge in You; and in the shadow of Your wings I will take refuge until destruction passes by. I will cry to God Most High, to God who accomplishes all things for me. He will send from heaven and save me. He reproaches him who tramples upon me. God will send forth His lovingkindess and His truth. Psalm 57:1-4 NASB
No comments:
Post a Comment