This journey of my life is some kind of winding road. Sometimes I feel like I am going in circles, taking harrowing hairpin curves that seem to put me back about where I started and yet as I look out over the landscape I do see the scheme - slow and steady steps keeping my eye on the prize, not the setbacks.
The prize is a life well-lived - remembering who I am in Christ and what that means in my every day decisions - be that coming to grips with disappointments in my life, building better relationships with those I love and those I should love, how I face the challenges of change, and of course, incorporating daily healthy habits to keep this body working at optimum.
I started this journey more than a year and a half ago and I so mistakenly envisioned that I would accomplish all my goals quickly and succinctly. After all, I'm one of those list-making girls who likes to check it all off and get on to my next list. Well, surprise surprise, my life has thrown me a curve ball and I'm still on the same list. And, I still have LOTS of weight to lose. But I must not count this journey as a failure but rather a learning process.
During the first year, I constantly told myself that with God's help I will get this weight off. Now I appear to be hedging my bets - just hoping I will get the rest of this weight off. Old fears revisit me constantly...what if I fail again, what if I gain it all back. I want to recapture that spark - that belief that my creator cares even about this and will walk each and every step with me.
A wise friend reminded me that the evil one wants to steal our joy and convince us we can be defeated. I choose, instead, to arm myself with the full armor of God and move forward into battle - the battle for wholeness of mind, spirit AND body.
Put on the full armor of God so that you may be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil. Ephesians 6:1
No comments:
Post a Comment