Monday, September 2, 2013

Treasure

Catching me quite by surprise this weekend, I found myself completely unnerved by a song on a music playlist I recently put together. Bruno Mars' Treasure came up and before I knew it tears were streaming down my face and my heart was laid bare. The song speaks of a man's love for a woman and his thoughts of beholding a beautiful  treasure in her; all the while knowing that she did not see that in herself.

The sobs breaking forth from my heart were simply my recognition that I have never seen myself as a treasure, instead, just the ordinary gray of life. I just couldn't imagine anything more. The song haunted me all evening and brought countless tears to my eyes even as I lay in bed trying to fall asleep.

I awakened the next morning still thinking about the song and the beliefs I held about myself. Knowing that I had to quit listening to this song or be committed, Annie and I left for church. I was looking for a fresh Word to soothe my heart and the Lord did not disappoint. While sitting in church, out of the pastor's mouth, I heard these words: Those in Christ hold all of  the treasures of God - nothing is withheld from those who know Him. When we were adopted into the kingdom family, which was done at His pleasure, we were no longer orphans but have all of His treasures at our hand.

Hardly gray, hardly ordinary. He not only sees me as treasure enough to bring me into His family, but he lays before me all that He has as my own. We truly have been purchased at great price. For this I am thankful.

 

4 comments:

  1. You have ALWAYS been a treasure to many, including me. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Berta. It's been a tough year. I don't know what God has in store, but I know one thing - He is good ALL the time - especially when life looks bleak.

      Thanks for reminding Rob about the CD - I can't wait!

      Delete
  2. Kathy,

    You are a treasure! Love your writing. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. I would like to follow your blog but do not see the way to do that??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Patrick; I appreciate your kinds words and YOUR blog as well. I'm a bit hit-or-miss with my regularity. I guess something has to really be screaming out for me to take a few minutes and jot down my thoughts.

    You can follow through Google Friend Connect - there is a link on my page (on the right hand column) next to the "Followers" button that says "Join This Site." Or, you can directly access through http://thejourneyisutmost.blogspot.com/

    I'm thrilled to see that you are doing so well! Keep following Jesus!

    ReplyDelete