Friday, October 11, 2013

Forgiveness doesn't always mean reconciliation

A cursory look at the scriptures pretty quickly reveals that all have sinned and are in need of forgiveness. But somehow, in my crazy mind, I have forgiveness pictured in my mind as one person saying "I'm sorry" and the other immediately saying, "I forgive you." Only recently have my eyes been opened to the truth that forgiveness granted does not necessarily mean there is reconciliation.

Thankfully when we, as sinners, face our God and say, "I'm sorry for my sin," He without fail says, "You are forgiven," and the broken relationship is no more. Reconciliation and restoration.

But, oh, what a different story it is when one mortal says to another, "I'm sorry" or "I forgive you." Sometimes there is no tying up of loose ends, no hugs, no "It's okay, I forgive you," or no "I'm sorry." And what a conundrum that leaves. And yet, the Lord requires ALL of us to forgive.

I struggle with forgiveness daily and I've only scratched the surface of this truth. In one instance, I am only at the stage that I am beginning to be willing to forgive the one who has wounded my heart to its core. Thankfully I know that my God is at work in me to bring me to the place where I will be able to utter the words and manifest the actions of forgiveness with my whole heart. HE is faithful; I am not.

Forgiveness of a wrong sets me free, whether there is reconciliation or not. But that is enough.

And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins. Mark 11:25 NIV

2 comments:

  1. Well put aunt Kathy often times people have a hard time understanding forgiveness and what it truly means. One must also learn that forgiveness is for ourselves as well. Love reading your posts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Angie. You are so right about forgiveness for us - it can set us free whether it is received or not.

    ReplyDelete