The saga continues with my dad. I spent an hour and a half in court today, answering the same questions that have been asked countless times since I was appointed guardian last July. I was accused of being financially irresponsible with his money and suggested that I should have found a much cheaper facility if I really cared about my dad and his future. Is there an assisted living Big Lots®?
The guardian ad litem (GAL) even told the magistrate that he saw no reason why my dad couldn't just move home. After all, the GAL "knows" Alzheimer's and my dad certainly doesn't exhibit the signs of same. I'm so happy that being an attorney now grants one the authority to make a medical diagnosis. Two degrees for one. I'll bet this would surprise even the most forward thinking law schools in this country.
Want to hear something really funny? The probate court already said I can sell all of my dad's possessions. Just not his house. Guess he could go home and sleep on the floor if the court decides I can't sell his house.
And again, we wait. No ruling from the bench, as expected. We must wait for a written determination. And it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the GAL doesn't make a sixth visit to my dad to get him all worked up again. I am certain beyond certain that the GAL gets a check with every visit he makes to upset my dad.
And once again this morning, dad told me not to visit and not to call, because he is so angry with me. But, we all know, he is really not angry with me - he is angry about getting old - about losing abilities - about losing all he knows and all he has. And that, my dear friends, is what breaks my heart most.
Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. Ephesians 6:11-13 (NASB)

No comments:
Post a Comment