Monday, January 6, 2014

Shimmering Stars

The nights are long these days and tonight the sky is clear and dark and, oh, so cold. As I look above my head I see hundreds of pin pricks of light, breaking up the black in random ways as well as in constellation. Those pin pricks of light shimmer in the night sky as if they were glitter thrown into the air - a heavenly confetti. If truth be told, these shimmering stars are really raging, infernos of fire, splitting the darkness in a miraculous way. Our perception of these points of light really doesn't reflect what they are.

When I consider the recent Christmas season and I think of the Bethlehem star that guided the wise men seeking the Christ Child, my heart races. I cannot imagine such a star, such a light that caused wise men to wonder. That light drew these men to walk for months in search of the promised Hope of the world. How bright that light must have been; how magnificent it must have been to behold.

Just as the wise men, I, too, am in constant search of that heavenly light. And every day it invades my life and makes the dark places light and brings hope and companionship to my days. But even more than that, His light sets me free, delivers me from sin and brings life to my life. Sometimes it seems as only a mere pin prick of light, but in reality it is a glorious, radiant and healing light marking my path and my days.

Then Jesus again spoke to them, saying, "I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life."
John 8:12


No comments:

Post a Comment