My heart is breaking for my dad today. Although I have been appointed guardian of his person and estate we are yet in the midst of court hearings and visits by a court-appointed guardian-ad-litem informing him of his "rights." There have been four visits since Thanksgiving that have sent him into a spiral of depression, anger and the feeling of being trapped in a situation by his body and the ravages of Alzheimer's. At Christmas he was so angry at me that he didn't want to see me.
My siblings and I are doing our best to take care of him, provide for his needs and comforts. And these court-appointed visits are making it so very difficult to make him understand we have his best interests at heart. Dad is tired of going to court hearings and doctors and yet he was told again today that he must go yet again this next week to protect his assets. Aren't we doing that - aren't we protecting him? Didn't the court already decide that when they appointed me guardian after reviewing the medical evidence provided by a team of neurologists?
Clearly I don't fully understand the process. And, I'm sure there are those out there in this world who would be trying to "get all they can" from their elderly parents. But for those of us who love and care for those who loved and cared for us, we are constantly under a microscope.
I'm hoping this process all ends soon so that we can guarantee and provide for his safe care in his beautiful assisted living home with excellent staff without the fear that yet one more attorney will visit and tell him he needs to go to court to protect himself, destroying all peace that we have worked so hard to provide for him.
We don’t yet see things clearly. We’re squinting in a fog, peering through a mist. But it won’t be long before the weather clears and the sun shines bright! We’ll see it all then, see it all as clearly as God sees us, knowing him directly just as he knows us! But for right now, until that completeness, we have three things to do to lead us toward that consummation: Trust steadily in God, hope unswervingly, love extravagantly. And the best of the three is love.
I Corinthians 13:12-13 (The Message)

Oh it's such a hard place. It's like being in between childhood and parenting, all at the same time...but worse. I have very difficult memories of those latter years of my parents' lives. Hang in there and do what you know is right. . even when part of you just can't seem to find a resting place in it. Looking back, I realize that there just honestly wasn't any better/best way to handle things. And remember that your dad is not fully there. ,With both my parents, it was like experiencing a long long and painful good bye. You are doing and being the best that you can.
ReplyDelete. Declare that. xoxoxoo