Thursday, August 15, 2013

Angels

Recently standing in the Westerville bank that held all of my dad's assets, I was all at once overwhelmed and overwrought. I had just spent a harrowing three hours in the Franklin County Probate Court. As the newly-named guardian of his person and estate, I was now at the bank, with a raft of paperwork and permissions from the court, allowing me to withdraw his assets in order to set up a guardianship account to take care of his needs for the rest of his life on earth. I was in tears, standing, waiting to speak with an account specialist, and was about to turn my dad's life upside down.

How in the world did this happen - and happen so quickly? Dementia, Alzheimer's, robber of one's memories, had invaded my dad's life and the life of all of his children and those who love him. His memories had been fading for some time, but intense and gut-wrenching cranial pain and the subsequent neurosurgery kicked dementia into high gear. How is it that a dad who held me, made me laugh, taught me how to ride a bike and then drive a car, the man who cried all the way home from dropping his first born at Miami University decades ago - how is it that he sometimes forgets my name?

My emotions were piqued at these turn of events and the overwhelming responsibilities I was assuming that day. I felt helpless as I stood, waiting.

As I gripped the file folder of documents, a sweet and beautiful woman appeared at my left arm. She could see I was visibly upset and instantly engaged me in conversation. She spoke of a battle with cancer and how, if it were not for her faith in the Lord, she would have never made it through to be able to be standing there. I spoke - spilling out my reason for being there and how sad it made me. She immediately offered an encouraging word of faith and promised to be praying for me and all that needed to be done. I had known this woman for mere seconds and she hugged me so tight as if to say, "All will be okay - look to the Lord."

The banker I had been waiting to see called my name and in a split second I realized this woman did not have any papers, any documents, any checks, any evidence of bank business with her. As I entered the banker's office I looked back and she was gone - GONE. She had appeared to be waiting for a banker too, but as soon as I turned around, she was gone.

Do I believe in angels? Do I believe the Lord sends messengers to those in need? Of course I do. But believing and experiencing are two different concepts. That day I had moved from belief to experience and even now I am in awe of a God so concerned about my heart that he sent an angel all the way to earth to ease the strain of the day for me, just a girl trying to take care of her dad.

The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear Him, And rescues them. Psalms 34:7 (NASB)

2 comments:

  1. All I can say is "yes" and "amen."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randy, thanks for the affirmation. I know easier days are often preferred but it's days like these that stretch my faith. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete