Jesus told Peter that He would build His church upon a Rock - THE Rock. Stone - again - in a big way intended to be a firm foundation. A good thing.The world is full of things and experiences meant to help us, to bless us, to change us. Yet we often turn those things and experiences away from their original intent resulting in some sort of death.
This morning as I left for work I felt a huge wedge of stone trying to plant itself in my heart - to block the turmoil and the pain, to cut me off from those around me. But in so blocking the uncomfortable, I know it would bring death to my spirit, death to the possibilities that God has for me through the turmoil and pain. I cannot allow that stone to be planted in my heart. It is my choice to allow my heart to be laid bare and experience those uncomfortable feelings and pressing concerns rather than bury them under a stone.
Without that stone covering my heart, I am vulnerable. But without that stone, I am allowed to see God at work in my life.
"I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you, I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh."
Ezekiel 36:26 NIV
This passage is one of my favorites (Ezekiel 36:26). It also reminds me of the stone that sealed Jesus' tomb - God rolled away the stone that kept Him in the grave. Hoping God continues to roll away the stones and transform the rest from stone to flesh.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Randy. Every day it is a conscious decision to choose flesh, not stone; but that decision will never disappoint.
ReplyDeleteKeeping Dana and all of you in my prayers.